Sunday, February 15, 2015

The King is a Bachelor

I arrived late last night and Mands and Nat picked me up at the airpor in a tuk tuk, our primary mode of transportation in Phnom Penh! I was SOOO tired. Today our adventure began with a stop at the Java Cafe, an expat hangout with great food... I had a Greek omelette with home fries. Felt like home! No worries we ate Cambodian food for dinner. Fish Amok is a delicious follow up to a sunset cruise on the Mekong river. Prior to the cruise we stopped the independence monument, took Khmer wedding photos (an experience to never forget), and took a tour of the Royal Palace and Siver Pagoda in newly purchaed fisherman pants. The weather is warm, humid, and refreshing after leaving DC at 19 degrees. Apparently it's cold here according to the locals. I think I need to move to a climate like this!

Things I learned today;
1. When in a developing country, you need to let go of some of your germaphobia (especially when a Cambodian woman is frantically trying to make you beautiful for your fake wedding photos).
2. The fake eyelashes must stay at the photo shoot.
3. The Cambodian King is a bachelor because he was a ballet dancer in Paris for 20 years before becoming King.
4. Crossing the street in PP is crazy!
5. Traffic laws don't really seem to exist. Every tuk tuk ride is an adventure!

Looking forward to Day 2.

xoxo,
Cole

No comments:

Post a Comment