Day 2 in PP started at 6am due to lack of sleep. I was so tired but my mind would not stop which means little to no sleep. Nat even woke up super early, so we were off in search of breakfast and water. Sadly, Amanda had to work and didn't join us on our adventure. We hired a really nice tuk tuk driver who never stopped smiling for the day. First stop, Russian market. To get there, our tuk tuk crossed the median and drove into oncoming traffic to make a left turn... It was terrifyingly thrilling. If you have ever been to a market in a developing country, then you know what it was like. Hundreds of booths selling clothing, trinkets, shoes, electronics, produce, and meat. The eels were wiggling in the trays and the pig head was staring right at us (maybe even winking;)).
Stop 2 was Toul Sleng Genocide Museum where over 12,000 Cambodians were forced into prison, interrogated, and killed over 4 years during the Khmer Rouge. The prison was formerly a school that was overtaken by Pol Pot and his men as they kicked everyone out of the city. It's really hard to believe that the prison was kept secret for so long until Independence Day in January 1979. It was a very sad and moving place to be. From there we had a quick lunch that consisted of 2 eggs with 3 pieces of coconut flavored toast even though Nat ordered something entirely different! From there our driver took us out to the Killing Fields. The tour is self guided with a head set that walks you along and provides you with history and perspectives from Khmer people impacted by the war. I don't think there is a single family in the country who was not impacted by the terror inflicted by the Khmer rouge. I really liked that each visitor was able to walk through the experience on his or her own in silence.. It was one of the saddest things I've ever seen. Tens of thousands of people were carted out to the fields and brutally murdered; men, women, and children. Remanents of bone and clothing are still found today during the rainy season when the water washes layers of dirt away. The site now honors the lives of all of the people killed in a very powerful and moving way. The people of Cambodia are a very resilient group. What happened should never be forgotten and should never happen again anywhere in the world.
As we headed back to the city, we spent most of our ride quietly reflecting on the experience; occasionally asking questions about things we saw or heard. I also thought about the living conditions of the people we passed along the way out to the fields. Houses that doubled as store fronts made of medal, often on wooden stilts with very little inside. Poverty is very high throughout the country and I really saw that as we drove through town. A day like today really puts life into perspective. It makes me thankful for what I have and for the ability to help others.
I really gained perspective on how fortunate I am when we returned to Amanda's apartment for a short rest and then went for a massage before dinner. For dinner I tried the Khmer specialty of Beff Loc Lac which was delicious.
As I fell asleep, I took a minute to reflect on the day, be thankful for what I have, and acknowledge my new found perspective on life thanks to Cambodia.
beff loc lac is SUPER similar to this vietnamese dish called bo luc lac. i did a google search because they sounded so familiar.
ReplyDeletei'm also glad to hear about your experience nicole. it sounds like it's a pretty devastating history.