Thursday, February 19, 2015

Hello Lady

Another day, another 6am wake up! We have now accomplished many things before 9 am since arriving in Cambodia. The hotel breakfast was nice. I am channeling my inner Gaston as I have eaten 2357754 eggs since arriving! It's a great thing that I like eggs. We then headed out to explore the Old Market which is full of food and nic-nacs. Over the course of the day, I spent way too much money but I hope it is helpful to the people I purchased from. As I walked past any booth and even glimpsed at the merchandise out of the corner of my eye, a very polite, "hello lady" could be heard often accompanied by a comment on how they had a good deal for me or a deal for the new year. And let me just say, I am not a bargainer. Really I would just call myself a sucker for any price offered! Perks to them!

Up next, a Khmer cooking class. A guide from a local restaurant took us into the Old Market and pointed out local fruits and veggies. We purchased a few things for the class and went back to work. In the class we each prepared an appetizer and entree of our choosing. The amazing part was that each person chose their own and we did not all have to cook the same thing. The options were endless and let's be honest, my indecisiveness was not a strength in this endeavor! I opted for a mango salad and chicken loc lac. Over the next 2 hours Nat and I befriended a retired Canadian couple, a French college student, and 2 twenty something Chinese women on holiday celebrating the Chinese New Year! They were all really fun and interesting people. We also chopped and stirred and pan fried the food. The dishes were amazing. Compliments to the chef;)For dessert we made a collective dish of mango sticky rice. Yum!

Food coma time! This led is to a stop by the pool to relax before heading to the breathtaking temples to watch the sunset. More on the Temples next...

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to taste your new culinary expertise! 😉

    ReplyDelete