What to do with free time...read and think.
“We accept the love we think we deserve.”
“Not everyone has a sob story and even if they do, it’s no excuse.”
I have been spending a lot of time reading since my internet stopped working 1 week ago. I have been reading for my DGH assignments, for my ES assignments, and even better a thrilling Spanish book “El Sexto Sol” and finally “The Perks of Being a Wallflower.” The last on the list is where I got these quotes from, both of which struck a chord with me and have lasting impact if you think about them for a while.
Life without internet is okay. You don’t stop breathing, the world continues on around you, food does not lose its taste, all contrary to popular belief, but boredom ensues. You become less easily entertained by things that waste your time, more disconnected from the strikes you never knew happened in Libya and you become 8 emails behind in replies to people you owe one back to (sorry ya’ll I promise they are coming soon!). While internet is not a necessary factor in life it is a desired one especially when you are in the middle of rural El Salvador on a farm with one other person (who is awesome) and a 2 kids who come to visit daily, and a groundskeeper, roommate and cook…OH and you’ve had it (although slow) for the past 4 weeks since arriving. It’s amazing the types of things you find to pass your time when g-chat disappears and the Face space is not tempting you to waste hours looking at people’s profiles. If you’re like me with all this time you think way too much, begin reading 4 things at once, have random dance parties, do insane workouts, and watch movies in bed at 9pm before falling asleep by 10:30. A late night is 11:30! CABIN FEVER! And sadly we have no idea if and when our internet will return based on the hour spent at the Tigo store this morning in Usultan where the nice, long eye-lashed salesman told us that he is not sure if they will work but there is a strange problem with the system that almost never happens. Well wouldn’t you figure it happens to us! But I am hopeful!
In my last post I mentioned something I learned about drinking wine…well let me tell you that on Saturday Kayla and I drank wine. We sat on the stumps in the field and watched the sunset and chatted with our wine. It was fun! Have I mentioned the beautiful landscape as our backdrop? So our Saturday was complete with wine, a delicious Sivia dinner and a HUGE-O dance party on the porch. We danced to old school music, top 40, hip hop, and a popular latin song in the light of the full moon with fireworks and a volcano as our backdrop. AMAZING! The farm fever was major this weekend as our second weekend in a row passed in the same hammocks, on the same benches, and in the same forest green plastic chairs as the past 2 weeks and weekend (which I LOVE but too much of anything can be bad). We attempted to play softball on Saturday with David and his league. He told us to meet him by Doris’s house at noon. So we dressed in our red shirts and headed out without lunch (me and no food = cranky) and waited and waited. By 12:30 we wandered around until we found him down the road on the back of a truck where we waited for another hour for 3 players and a coach to show up… but not enough to play so we headed home to our hammocks for the rest of the afternoon. At least we attempted an outing. I must add that Max, our house mate came home to our dance party on Saturday night and rhetorically asked, “Are you all bored?” in reference to our awesome dance party! I guess we were pretty obvious! Bored is not really the right word it’s more geographically isolated…which is worse I think. All we really want to do is go to the beach on the weekend for the day especially because El Salv has some of the prettiest beaches in the world and they are SO CLOSE to us!!!!!!!!!! This HAS to happen soon!
Now that I have been officially welcomed by the stomach bugs in El Salvador I am even more ready for San Salvador this weekend! Oh we are off to where the roof connects again!
Woots,
Nicoley
When I was in Vietnam, I slept at 10:30 every night and woke up at 6 every morning ... and felt so refreshed! Because I was with my family, I didn't really do much at night. And it's only when I go to Vietnam do I sleep on that schedule.
ReplyDelete