I was under the impression that Spanish was the only language I would be learning here, but yesterday I learned the Salvadoran version of pig latin hence the name of this post (Nicole). Thanks to 12 year old Alex, (Leonel's nephew who sometimes lives on the farm) and his friend, we learned a whole new way to speak! We also had a day full of entertainment. We passed the morning by learning verb tenses with Leonel and Alex, in his homework for the weekend, and then listened to music. The conversation was great. Los chistes (jokes) from Kayla and Alex made it even better. One of my faves was
Cuál es el juguete más egoísta? (In the words of Barney Stinson.... "wait for it") El yo-yo! (hahaha)
I am sorry for those of you who don't understand, we can chat more later! I spent the rest of the day playing basketball and checkers. I also learned that Checkers does not have the same rules everywhere, or maybe they vary among generations. Then all of us played a game of futbol! Things I have learned from this day...
1. when in El Salvador (or any country) play games and sports when you have the chance
2. I am getting older and tire much faster (NOT old just older)
3. Children never stop. Where does this energy come from?
4. why my dad did not let me win at games when we played as a kid (sidenote: I most likely will lose anyway (checkers) and the competitive streak never dies!!!)
By the end of the game I was covered in dirt! And starving! This was probably my favorite day here so far; enjoying the farm and the people around me.
Tomorrow morning we will be visiting homes with the community health workers! This should lead to some fun and great stories!
Im pretty sure you kick butt at the Friends game..."pivot"...."do you know that this means?"
ReplyDelete